Duke Law Professor Marin Levy, center, organized the conference.
Legal scholars gathered at Duke to discuss judicial administration and judicial processes during a roundtable conference on Friday, Dec. 14. Organized by Duke Law Professor Marin Levy and sponsored by the Bolch Judicial Institute, the conference assembled some of the nation’s foremost scholars of judicial administration and focused on new and emerging research.
“It is so exciting to be bringing together top scholars whose work is defining the emerging field of judicial administration to discuss some of the most important topics related to our court system today,” said Levy, who, in addition to convening the roundtable, presented a paper entitled “Are Federal Judges National Judges?” examining the national role and regional makeup of Article III federal judges.
Bolch Judicial Institute Director David F. Levi offered comments during a presentation.
Several scholars presented works-in-progress for comment. Presentations included, among others, topics such as “Legislating Civil Procedure,” which examines how states create civil rules of procedure; “The Adjudication Business,” examining the competitive business that has grown up around the adjudication of international commercial disputes; and “The Defender General,” which discusses the U.S. Supreme Court’s role as a de facto criminal-justice regulatory agency.
Following is a list of participants. For more information, visit the conference web page or contact Duke Law Professor Marin Levy.
- Stuart Benjamin, Douglas B. Maggs Professor of Law, Duke Law School
- Pamela Bookman, Assistant Professor of Law, Temple University Beasley School of Law
- Josh Chafetz, Professor of Law, Cornell Law School
- Zach Clopton, Associate Professor of Law, Cornell Law School
- Michael Coenen, Professor of Law, Seton Hall University School of Law
- Andrew Crespo, Assistant Professor of Law, Harvard Law School
- Erin Delaney, Associate Dean of Faculty and Research and Professor of Law, Northwestern Pritzker School of Law
- Dan Epps, Professor of Law, Washington University School of Law
- Barry Friedman, Jacob D. Fuchsberg Professor of Law and Affiliated Professor of Politics at NYU Law School
- Tracey George, Interim Vice Provost for Faculty Affairs, Charles B. Cox III and Lucy D. Cox Family Chair in Law and Liberty, and Professor of Political Science, Vanderbilt Law School
- Tara Leigh Grove, Professor of Law, William & Mary Law School
- Mitu Gulati, Professor of Law, Duke Law School
- Alli Orr Larsen, Professor of Law, William & Mary Law School
- Margaret Lemos, Robert G. Seaks LL.B. ’34 Professor of Law and Senior Associate Dean for Faculty & Research, Duke Law School
- Marin Levy, Associate Professor of Law, Duke Law School
- Tejas Narechania, Assistant Professor of Law and Faculty Director, Berkeley Center for Law & Technology, UC Berkeley School of Law
- Anne Joseph O’Connell, Professor of Law, Stanford Law School
- Richard Re, Assistant Professor of Law and Faculty Co-Director of the Program on Understanding Law, Science & Evidence, UCLA Law
- Albert Yoon, Professor and Chair in Law and Economics, University of Toronto Faculty of Law