The Advisory Board is charged with guiding the programs and activities of the Bolch Judicial Institute. Its responsibilities include long-range planning, creating programs, monitoring the Institute’s budget, and selecting the recipient of the Bolch Prize, an annual prize recognizing individuals or entities who have distinguished themselves in the preservation or advancement of the rule of law.
Sitting judges serve in an honorary capacity and do not participate in fundraising efforts or specific funding decisions. In addition to the Advisory Board, the Bolch Institute is also guided by the following Duke Law faculty members, all experts in the study of the judiciary.
Current Advisory Board Members
- Peter J. Kahn JD’76, Senior Counsel, Williams & Connolly LLP in Washington, D.C. (Chair of the Board)
- Kerry Abrams, James B. Duke and Benjamin N. Duke Dean of the School of Law and Professor of Law, Duke Law School
- Carl Bolch Jr. JD’67, Executive Chairman of RaceTrac Petroleum, Inc.
- Susan Bass Bolch, Secretary of RaceTrac Petroleum, Inc.
- David G. Campbell, Senior Judge, U.S. District Court, District of Arizona (Honorary Member)
- Michelle Childs LLM’16, Judge, U.S. Court of Appeals, D.C. Circuit (Honorary Member)
- Allyson K. Duncan JD’75, Judge, United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit (ret.) (Honorary Member)
- David Ichel BA’75, JD’78, X-Dispute LLC (Ex Officio Member)
- Paul M. Newby BA’77, Chief Justice, North Carolina Supreme Court (Honorary Member)
- Manuel Sager LLM’85, Director General, Swiss Agency for Development and Cooperation
- Chilton Davis Varner, King & Spalding
- Diane P. Wood, Senior Judge, U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit (Honorary Member)
Duke Law Faculty Advisors
- Jack Knight, Frederic Cleaveland Professor of Law and Political Science
- Margaret Lemos, Robert G. Seaks LL.B. ’34 Professor of Law and Senior Associate Dean for Faculty and Research
- Marin Levy, Professor of Law
Emeritus Board Members
- Samuel A. Alito, Associate Justice, United States Supreme Court (Honorary Member)
- David F. Levi, Director Emeritus, Bolch Judicial Institute of Duke Law
- Lee H. Rosenthal, Chief Judge, United States District Court, Southern District of Texas (Honorary Member)
- Anthony J. Scirica, Senior Judge, United States Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit (Honorary Member)