The Advisory Board is charged with guiding the programs and activities of the Bolch Judicial Institute. Its responsibilities include long-range planning, creating programs, monitoring the Institute’s budget, and selecting the recipient of the Bolch Prize, an annual prize recognizing individuals or entities who have distinguished themselves in the preservation or advancement of the rule of law.
Sitting judges serve in an honorary capacity and do not participate in fundraising efforts or specific funding decisions. In addition to the Advisory Board, the Bolch Institute is also guided by the following Duke Law faculty members, all experts in the study of the judiciary.
Current Advisory Board Members
- Peter J. Kahn JD’76, Senior Counsel, Williams & Connolly LLP in Washington, D.C. (Chair of the Board)
- Kerry Abrams, James B. Duke and Benjamin N. Duke Dean of the School of Law and Professor of Law, Duke Law School
- Samuel A. Alito, Associate Justice, United States Supreme Court (Honorary Member)
- Carl Bolch Jr. JD’67, Executive Chairman of RaceTrac Petroleum, Inc.
- Susan Bass Bolch, Secretary of RaceTrac Petroleum, Inc.
- Allyson K. Duncan JD’75, Judge, United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit (ret.) (Honorary Member)
- David Ichel BA’75, JD’78, X-Dispute LLC (Ex Officio Member)
- David F. Levi, Levi Family Professor of Law and Judicial Studies and Director of the Bolch Judicial Institute
- Paul M. Newby BA’77, Chief Justice, North Carolina Supreme Court (Honorary Member)
- Lee H. Rosenthal, Chief Judge, United States District Court, Southern District of Texas (Honorary Member)
- Manuel Sager LLM’85, Director General, Swiss Agency for Development and Cooperation
- Anthony J. Scirica, Senior Judge, United States Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit (Honorary Member)
- Diane P. Wood, Judge, U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit (Honorary Member)